[Building Sakai] Chrome 30 and HTTP

Niebel, William (wdn5e) wdn5e at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Oct 9 09:28:57 PDT 2013

Hi, Matt.
     We're working on this problem also at the University of Virginia.

     You said "A number of responders in Sakai-dev mentioned a few solutions that have been successful."  This makes me think I might be missing something in this thread so far.

     Running SSL between load-balancer and Sakai server certainly counts as one solution.  Am I missing any other solutions that have been mentioned?  (I think in saying "a few", you weren't counting your own solution of using front-end rewrite rules.)

     Supplying either property, sakai.force.url.secure or force.url.secure, is not a solution, because, at least with kernel 1.3.1 and Sakai 2.9.1, redirects aren't conditioned on either of those properties.  (I know about how Sakai code mirrors one of these property's value to the other.)

     And Sakai redirects seem to be one cause of the Chrome 30 problem.  We especially see that tools using CARET WebappToolServlet send redirects which trigger Chrome's http/s block.  I think there are also instances which don't involve that framework.

     We prefer to fix the Sakai code so that it works with Chrome 30, without running SSL between the load-balancer and Sakai server (as stated in the thread), and without adding rewrite rules above/outside Sakai, that is, rewrite rules in the load-balancer, webserver, or servlet container (as you're doing).  But I don't want to waste time fixing the code if someone else already has done it that way.

     Anyway, it would help me to know if there are solutions already which fix Sakai code to work behind an SSL load-balancer and non-SSL (webserver and) servlet container.

Thanks for your help.
     Bill

Bill Niebel
University of Virginia