[Building Sakai] [STRANGE] ERRORS installing SAKAI 2.9.3 on CentOS 6.4 64-bit

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 7 06:12:06 PDT 2013

Your previous posts indicated problems with locked ports and a rogue
Tomcat process.  Why would installing a 32 bit version of Sakai change
that problem?  I'd stick with the 64 bit approach - Sakai will run
better in that environment.  Did you investigate running processes?  Did
you find any java processes running?

Here's a different suggestion:  for now, forget Sakai.  See if you can
get your own instance of Tomcat up and running on your machine - a fresh
install directly from Apache using the latest 7.0.x version.  It will
start up much faster than a Tomcat that includes Sakai.  If you can get
your own Tomcat to start and stop reliably, you can move on to
installing Sakai in it.  You probably also want to configure this Tomcat
to start up automatically on system reboot.  For that, you'll need a
entry in your /etc/init.d file. With that in place, you can start and
stop Tomcat as a system service:  "service tomcat start", "service
tomcat stop", etc. Check to see that tomcat is included in your start up
using "chkconfig --list tomcat".

- Mark Norton