[Building Sakai] Log troubles with evalsys

Joshua Swink jswink at ucmerced.edu
Wed Oct 2 16:40:40 PDT 2013

I have a Sakai instance where sakai-evaluation-tool is the first thing
loaded from webapps, and it causes a log error, and then there's almost no
logging whatsoever after that. The application does function properly.

The error is:

INFO: Deploying web application archive
/local/users/sak/tomcat11b/webapps/sakai-evaluation-tool.war
log4j:ERROR A "org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender" object is not assignable
to a "org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable.
log4j:ERROR The class "org.apache.log4j.Appender" was loaded by
log4j:ERROR [org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader at 12a0f6c]
whereas object of type
log4j:ERROR "org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender" was loaded by
[WebappClassLoader
  context: /sakai-evaluation-tool
  delegate: false
  repositories:
    /WEB-INF/classes/
----------> Parent Classloader:
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader at a53de4
].
log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named "stdout".

This is a production system so I'm not able to restart it immediately, but
I was able to reproduce the error by removing everything except evalsys
from webapps and starting a test instance. Then I removed the log4j jar
from webapps/sakai-evaluation-tool, and it was able to start normally.

The log4j jars present in our Tomcats are:

./webapps/accountvalidator/WEB-INF/lib/log4j-1.2.14.jar
./webapps/sakai-evaluation-tool/WEB-INF/lib/log4j-1.2.14.jar
./common/lib/log4j-1.2.16.jar

Is it possible that simply removing log4j-1.2.14.jar from evalsys is the
correct solution? I'll be testing this later. One of the difficulties
testing this is finding a Tomcat where evalsys happens to load first.

Josh