[Building Sakai] Proposal for Sakai 10 help files

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Wed Nov 6 11:22:01 PST 2013

A few things that we might want to consider (some may have been mentioned):

1.  Accessibility of the content created with ScreenSteps.

2.  Many websites provide several types of help to meet diverse user
preferences.  Some people don't want to watch videos.  Others don't want to
wade through lots of images to find simple steps they can read.  Still
others really need images to get anywhere.

A site may include some combination of the following…

---- Detailed instructions with detailed images for getting started

---- Short getting started cheat sheet

---- A video tutorial covering the basics

---- Interactive e-learning tutorial

---- Manual for the basics

---- Manual for advanced features

---- Very quick how-to step-by-steps of some tasks with no images

---- Forums for finding best practices and asking questions

… plus other types of help

We've recently added links to videos and embedded videos in our help
pages.  We've also included links to printable pdfs.  (We use our own
content pages with the Sakai/CTools help tool.)

3.  Knowledge bases that can really zero in on a topic are best.  Out of
curiosity I typed "getting started" in the TurboTax knowledge base search
and I got over 13,000 hits.  I stopped searching for basic instructions on
getting started after page 4.