[Building Sakai] sakai.X-UA-Compatible settings in production

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Wed May 15 14:36:02 PDT 2013

> Reviving an old thread. CLE 2.9 only formally supports versions 8 and 9 of
> ie, plus other browsers. While in the past, we seem to have forced browsers
> to emulate slightly older browsers (below), I'm not that 2.9 is doing that.
> So ie8, which is the default on many of our public clusters, has a setting
> that display intranets in compatibility view, and I think our local
> installation is considered intranet, meaning it is rendered in ie7.

Ahhh Microsoft "Smart Defaults":
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2009/06/17/compatibility-view-and-smart-defaults.aspx

The maintainers of your Group Policy need to modify these "Smart Defaults"
to exclude your Sakai site.

Attempting to send a header will *not* override this default.  The Group
Policy needs to be modified.

> There are a couple of changes we have made to the skin that just don't
> work in ie7 and I'm wondering if any other schools have had similar
> problems and forced their 2.9 installation to render in ie8?

IE9 and 10 both seem significantly improved.  I wouldn't force IE8
rendering proactively without first identifying a major issue.

> If there is a specific reason that ie7 fell off, should this be fixed?

Sure, if you want to send in patches for IE7 compatibility, I'm sure we can
get eyes on the patches.

> And since ie10 is also untested and may have some issues, shouldn't we
> force ie8 and 9 for that reason as well?

Yes, I believe Matt did this all the way back in 2011:

--Sam