[Building Sakai] Turnitin ConnectedIn agreement

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 18 09:10:37 PDT 2013

Am forwarding this on behalf of a colleague.

In short, iParadigms are telling us that anybody who wishes to develop against their new API will need to sign a ConnectedIn agreement and outline the QA processes that any integration code will undergo. We think this means that "every developer" must sign not just the foundation.

Whether this applies to people who download Sakai and want to fix a bug is not clear, nor is it clear if everybody who wants to *use* the new TII API will also have to sign.

I think that in the past somebody somewhere has done a poor integration and iParagdigms had to deal with complaints when it wasnt their fault. I'm not sure what the action will be if some of our integration code exhibits a bug one day!!

There is some good news: the new Turnitin API will include anonymous marking and integration with PeerMark, both of which are highly desirable features (for us).

Adam

++++++++++++
>From Jill Fresen

Here's info that recently appeared on the TII website, mainly pushing the forthcoming LTI tool:
http://submit.ac.uk/en_us/integrations/api-integration-plans

What it doesn't say on the website is what I have been told by iParadigms Europe, namely that any institution/developer wishing to develop against the new API and Java SDK will be required to sign a ConnectedIn agreement before those tools will be made available to them. (Many reasons have been communicated to me verbally for the reason behind this decision).

The ConnedtedIn draft document is currently being reviewed by the iParadigms Chief Operations Officer in the USA and will not be available for another few weeks.

There are a few questions:

1. Who in the Sakai community will take responsibility for signing a ConnectedIn agreement with iParadigms?
2. Who in the Sakai community will undertake the work that is required on Content Review, in order to talk to the Java SDK and in turn the new Turnitin API?

It has been suggested that we should ask the iParadigms team to participate in the Sakai dev mailing list to interact with the community...

Jill