[Building Sakai] MELETE in Sakai 2.9.x

Poindexter, David Ray davpoind at iupui.edu
Sat Mar 9 09:37:13 PST 2013

Hi Sam!

For some reason the thread got broken here, but I remember you're trying
to track down what particular CSS is being used for a particular element?

If that's the case, here's what I would do (note, I use Chrome and Web
Inspector, but I'm doing this with Firefox and Firebug to translate more
accurately for your situation). This process is what I would use no matter
what CSS info about any element I'm trying to discover.

I'm going to attempt, via links to images, to find out what EXACTLY is
giving a certain element style within a sakai instance. To make it easy,
and arbitrary, I'm going to use a nightly instance, and I'm going to
target the circular help icon in the "message of the day" tool. You should
be able to see this page:

http://i.imgur.com/Wb61RTe.png

By going to this URL:

http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8082/portal

1) Use FF, right-click, inspect with firebug this element here:

 <https://www.evernote.com/shard/s6/sh/d1c48a44-da63-4c65-b334-226f9534f476
/07e275b351cb87cf35cd4edcdeeb3e49>

2) Do that, and note the area where you need to look at your CSS overrides:

 <https://www.evernote.com/shard/s6/sh/5239ffba-19a9-4bc0-b5d6-3e2b628ceb79
/49e5a3f6ba8c2f19a7daf390bda06150>

This lists the particular CSS files that affect this particular element.
This is also kind of in reverse order. The styles at the top override the
styles listed below.

Where you see a strike-through, that means that style is specified
somewhere in the cascade, but is being overridden.

If you click the filename, firebug will take you to the actual CSS file
and line that the style is specified.

If you'd like to take this offline and ask some more specific questions
about debugging in Firebug, just send me some contact info privately via
direct email.

Cheers,
--

David Poindexter