[Building Sakai] Assignments Shows Wrong Submission For Student

Kevin Pittman kevin.pittman at oit.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 5 09:10:14 PST 2013

Has anyone run into the following bug in recent times?

Something very similar to this has cropped up in our Sakai 2.8 instance.
In the instructor's view of a particular assignment, the grading page
for a particular student shows the the submission text of another student
on a consistant basis.  It's not a case of an overwrite -- the correct
submission for the first student is present in the database and is
returned when the Download All function is used - it just isn't being
pulled correctly for the Grading page.

I tested the behavior on several different app servers in our cluster,
and it always happens the same way.  It always pulls the same wrong
submission - nothing random about it, nor is it dependant on the order
in which submissions are viewed.  The wrong submission pulled is for
the student who alphabetically comes just before this student, but that
may not have anything to do with the underlying problem.

I checked the logs and no errors are being thrown when navigating through
the Assignments tool or its grading pages.

Here's the intersting part - it's not simply a case of Sakai pulling
the wrong submission record.  Assignments is pulling the feedback field
from the correct user's submission record and writing it back to the
correct record.  It's only the submission text itself that's being
pulled incorrectly.  Does this make any sense to anyone who has worked
on the Assignments tool?  Does it do weird stuff on the backend and
pull table fields separately, rather than just pulling an entire user
submission record in one DB request?

Also of note, the student's view of the assignment submission is shown
correctly.  It's only the instructor's view that is wrong.

Any ideas on this one?

FYI, we're running the application on Red Hat linux servers with an
Oracle database.  Also, we're running 2.8 from trunk.

Thanks,
Kevin
Georgia Tech Sakai Application Administrator

Kevin Pittman                              kevin.pittman at oit.gatech.edu