[Building Sakai] problem with gradebook

Hedrick Charles hedrick at rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 20 05:11:55 PDT 2013

Yes. LSNBLDR-249.

I'm working on code. I can't actually do a full solution. The question asked by some of the APIs is in principle not answerable by any practical computation. But I can give a reasonable approximation. I need to think whether there will be performance problems in large sites. I may have to add caching. Ideally this code should be done over a period  of time and carefully tested. But the way Gradebook was written makes this an emergency.

If I were doing it I would probably have written the code so if a provider doesn't implement the API, the item is considered visible. At the very least the 2.9.1 and 2.9.2 release notes need to indicate that all contrib tools that talk to the grade book must be updated to implement the new API. Once I get Lessons fixed, we'l have to ask all 2.9.1 and 2.9.2 sites to update. There aren't that many tools, and it's certainly possible that all of them have updated versions. I haven't done a check yet. we're just now starting tests on 2.9.1, and hadn't realized this was an aspect we need to test.

Yes, we need to talk in the release meeting. We probably need a rush QA of lessons 1.4.x. Most of the code added since 2.9.2 is safe, but LSNBLDR-216 is a bit hairy, and this patch is going to be hairy. I'm even wondering about doing a special tag that has just this patch on top of 2.9.2.