[Building Sakai] Turnitin erros with Assignment

Paul Dagnall pdagnall1 at udayton.edu
Mon Jun 17 14:17:16 PDT 2013

Narasi
We've been having similar problems with little help from Turnitin support.
For us this seems to be some inconsistency with assignments created on our
older version of the Turnitin integration/Sakai 2.6 and then we upgraded to
the newest Tii and Sakai 2.9.

If I duplicate the sites the Assignment/Turnitin business works fine. New
sites and assignments work fine too. The problem only occurs on those older
sites where the assignment was set up on our older version.

I've been able to fix our instances of the API 414 error. With the latest
version of the Sakai Tii integration piece they added those three
checkboxes under the heading "Check originality against: ". Perhaps I
didn't run a conversion I was supposed to because many older assignments,
created before the upgrade to 2.9, will not correctly submit because those
checkboxes are not set. I can fix it by turning off Turnitin for the
assignment, deleting the CONTENTREVIEW_ITEM records, and then turning
Turnitin back on. This fixes it for us.

Otherwise we've been trying to work with faculty by submitting papers in
new unpublished sites for them and reporting back the results.

For your other Tii failures, are you getting anything in your LASTERROR
column in CONTENTREVIEW_ITEM? Ours either say that the site doesn't exist
with Tii or the assignment doesn't exist with Tii. Turnitin support says
that neither they nor I can manually add the site or assignment, which
seems strange to me. They say it can only be done through the integration
software.

The good news is it seems to work well moving forward, but for the set of
assignments that are seemingly stuck in limbo it's real tricky.

Paul Dagnall
Application Developer & Administrator
University of Dayton