[Building Sakai] [Deploying Sakai] How to Run/Install Tomcat as a Service for Sakai 2.9.1 Demo?

Pierre Kellerman PKellerman at realpeople.co.za
Thu Jun 13 06:25:58 PDT 2013

Hi Mark.

Great news I have it Working At least Partially now.

I followed your advice stopping Tomcat as a Windows service. This do not
work by stopping it in the service manager. I suppose because the correct
shutdown messages is not sent to Tomcat.

So I disabled the service and restart my PC (Once more go windows L)

The I started Tomcat from the command line by copying the .BAT files from
the demo folder. I have no error messages and once I received the info
message

INFO: Server startup in 217668 ms

I tried again and now it shows correctly in my Browser. J

Thank you very mush.

One thing this is fine for my local Dev Machine. But on the live server I
really need to run Tomcat as a service. Any idea where to start looking for
the problem why it do not work when running as a service. I do have the
following Environment variables set.

CATALINA_HOME = c:\opt\tomcat7

JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_21

JAVA_OPTS = -server -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:NewSize=192m -XX:MaxNewSize=384m
-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dhttp.agent=Sakai
-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false
-Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true

MAVEN_OPTS = -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m

MAVEN2_HOME = C:\opt\apache-maven-3.0.5

SUBVERSION_HOME = C:\opt\svn\

And the relevant bin folders is all added to the PATH environment variable.

Or is CygWin really the only way to run a java service reliably on a windows
machine.

BTW my OS is Windows 7 64 bit

Thank you for the help so far.