[Building Sakai] Gradebook2 export and import feature question

Sanghyun Jeon euksa99 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 10:00:54 PDT 2013

I am wondering whether GB2 allows instructor manually add an item while via
export/import of a full gradebook

Here's what our instructor tries to do:

1.       1. Start with a few items from the Assignments tool, an item from
the Test & Quizzes tool, and an item manually added in the gradebook.

 2.       Go to Tools > Export > Export full gradebook as XLS (97-2003)
file.

 3.       Open XLS file and insert new column for a new item (next to the
last item), set point value and add grades for existing students in the
appropriate locations. Save XLS.

 4.        Go to Tools > Import > Full Gradebook > Browse to XLS file and
click Next > Warning page: " One or more entries under Student ID do not
match the IDs of students enrolled in this course"

 5.        Click X to close. Click Done. Name displays in red.

 [image: Inline image 1]

 6.      6.  Refresh page and student info and grades are blank.

[image: Inline image 2]

7.       7. To get the student to reappear, go to Site Info tool > Set
student to Inactive > Update participants > Set to Active > Update
participants > Return to Gradebook 2 tool.

*Importing a full gradebook seems OK when you are just adding grades, but
not when adding new items to the spreadsheet.

 We are wondering whether adding  new items is not the intended method,
since there is a New Item Template. However, our faculties are accustomed
to adding new items and updating grades by downloading a full gradebook and
re-uploading as in the older Gradebook tool, so we have some users to run
into this.

 We would like GB2 team's recommendation if this is something that can be
changed/fixed or we should instruct our faculty to be careful to only add
using the New Item Template.

Thank you in advance.