[Building Sakai] Status of CLE 2.9.3

Noah Botimer nbotimer at unicon.net
Wed Jul 10 19:39:42 PDT 2013

Another update:

I have checked this code into trunk at r126908.

Note that this does require a change for existing
ExternalAssignmentProviders, though the build will not break. There is a
new method called getAllExternalAssignments that must be implemented for
full function. Otherwise, the provider will not be able to suppress
items (because of the necessary complexity of the algorithm).

This new method is defined in the ExternalAssignmentProviderCompat
interface. Note that the interface may be, but need not be, declared.
The provider in Lessons is flexible enough to target multiple versions
of the CLE, so reflection is used to detect the method and call it if
the interface is not declared -- this avoids requiring different files
and extra build profiles in Lessons for one method.

The interesting thing about this fix is that the traffic on contrib
tools needing providers is less relevant. The only time a tool needs to
implement an ExternalAssignmentProvider is if it adds external items to
the gradebook and enforces group permissions on them that should be
reflected in the gradebook. Adding a provider just to get the 2.8-style
functionality back is no longer required.

Please help test this on trunk and we will merge it to 2.9.x soon
provided it passes QA.

I have also made this same comment on
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23733 for reference.

Thanks,