[Building Sakai] Connecting Sakai to Remote Network Shares

Shawn Foster sfoster9 at uwo.ca
Wed Jul 10 06:50:31 PDT 2013

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has integrated a remote network storage area
into Sakai, so users can access their files remotely by logging into Sakai.

Western University has disk space allocated on a network file system
(NFS) for each user to store files when they are using the campus
computer labs. We are investigating methods for users to access this
storage space outside of the computer labs. Some people on campus
suggested adding a connection to our Sakai instance, since users are
already familiar with accessing content online using Sakai.

At first I had thought of adding a connection to the personal Resources
in each user's My Workspace. However, I think a separate connecting tool
will be ideal.

Before I investigate developing such a connection, has anyone connected
Sakai to NFS on a per-user-basis allowing users to upload and download
files to their space via Sakai's interface? Or do any projects/tools
exist that would do this functionality in Sakai? Or outside of Sakai?

Thanks,
-Shawn

--
Shawn Foster
Instructional Technology Support and Application Development