[Building Sakai] Tutor, students and drop box.

Eric DUQUENOY eric.duquenoy at univ-littoral.fr
Fri Jan 25 02:59:56 PST 2013

Hello,
Our problem is the following (we use currently Sakai 2.8) : we have to
manage groups (200 or more) consisting of:
- Students. One student per group, a student can only belong to one group,
- TutorsOur problem is the following (we use currently Sakai 2.8) : we
have to manage groups (200 or more) consisting of:
- Students: one student per group, a student can only belong to one group,
- Tutors from enterprise and / or from university : 2 or more per group
and a tutor can belong to several groups.

This can be managed by creating sections with the tool "Information
section".

As students and tutors need to exchange documents, it is therefore
necessary to have a common storage area for each group (each section
actually). So, we would like to use Drop Box tool.

Use the Drop Box tool is unfortunately not suitable :
  - a tutor with the role of "Teaching Assistant" can not see the boxes
of his students even if they belong to his section.
- a tutor with an role of "instructor" can view any section. However, we
must respect some privacy groups (some tutors may belong to competing
companies ...). A tutor must only see his groups and not the others !

In the end, we created in the Resources tool, more than 200 folders
(with webdav, it's fast) and create 200 sections (That's longer because
you can create only 10 at a time ...) then in the properties of each
folder, we associate each folder with the relevant section (it's very
very long!). We also set permissions for a student or tutor sees only
the folder or folders that concern.

We seek a solution that help in the future, to automate or facilitate
the association between folder and section. In our opinion, the easiest
way would be to improve the functioning of the Drop Box to allow a tutor
to see the drop boxes of his students.

Thanks
  Eric Duquenoy Université du Littoral - Côte d'Opale (France)
  Maître de conférences
  Chargé de mission "Campus numérique"
  Tel. +33.3.21.46.55.32
  Fax +33.3.21.46.55.49