[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.5 passwords not working in sakai 2.9

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Thu Jan 10 07:21:02 PST 2013

Hi Alaa,

I'm responding because none of the people who know what they are talking about have stepped up yet.  :-)

I can't point you at the documentation, but I can point you in the right direction, I think.

Rather than start with new databases, the usual migration would involve a series of database conversions and then running the new code against the converted database.  The database conversion files are in the reference module in the source distribution of sakai.  Or they can be found here:

	https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/reference/trunk/docs/conversion/

You'll need to run most of the conversions that has "mysql" in the filename from 2.5.3 to 2.9.0.  But read the documentation at the beginning of each file before you begin.  You'll notice there's a 2.5.3 to 2.5.4 conversion, but then the 2.6.0 conversion file says it takes you from 2.5.4 to 2.6.0.  You may need to work your way through them to figure out the chain of conversions to get to 2.9.0.

Your email suggested two questions.  I've addressed only one of them.  The other is whether something special needs to be done to deal with the hashed passwords from 2.5.3.  I can't answer that, but maybe you will find the answer by doing the database conversions.  If not, please ask that again.

Thanks.

Jim