[Building Sakai] usage of

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Jan 2 07:13:30 PST 2013

Also, most tools have very limited capabilities via REST. When Sakai was
developed in 2005, the concept of REST was around, but it didn't really get
popular in the world until 2008-2010. Sakai uses all internal apis for
performance convenience.All of the initial tools were written mostly by the
same small team. Around 2008, Entitybroker was created to serve these
internal 'entities' and additional methods to the external interfaces via
REST, but that didn't get a whole lot of initial support other than from
the creator (Aaron Z) until lately. There is a a reasonably large effort
that was started, mostly around creating new interfaces for mobile, which
started late last year. I wonder how that's progressing?
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MOBILE/Home

It's hard to support multiple interfaces though (internal, external REST,
external SOAP) since you have to make sure to keep them all tested and in
sync. In Sakai much of the business logic is in the view for some tools,
not in the service which also complicates things.