[Building Sakai] IconsŠ why not sprites or icon fonts

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Feb 27 06:54:21 PST 2013

Most likely it was because older IE browsers didn't support this well and
it was just something that never had any effort put into fixing. Also, this
chart says that it's still this property is still "buggy" on IE8 (for
whatever that means:  http://reference.sitepoint.com/css/background-position).
IE8 was the default mode for Sakai 2.8, so we'd probably be able to drop
support for it after 2.10 is released (If Gonzalo or someone updates the
css), which should be around the same time XP also goes off extended
support.