[Building Sakai] Need suggesstion while upgrading sakai database from oracle 9i 32bit to 11g 64bit

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:34:10 PST 2013

We ran into a problem that could possibly concern you; if you are using the
Oracle data pump to transfer the DB content, you might be at risk for data
corruption in tables using data type XML LONG. On the other hand, if you
are upgrading without using any kind of data pump, this risk doesn't apply.
(I am not a DBA, and I'm just repeating some terms that our DBA used when
we discussed our problem.)

What the data pump did was to convert UTF-8 character data to Oracle's
proprietary CESU-8 encoding. Efforts to reverse this conversion were not
successful and we had to restore the values from a backup.

The affected tables were ASSIGNMENT_SUBMISSION, CALENDAR_EVENT, and
CONTENT_RESOURCE_DELETE.

For us, the problem presented itself as old student assignment submissions
no longer appearing in a Spanish course. This is because the accented
characters were encoded differently in these two encodings, which had two
possible effects: 1) The XML document could be invalid, or 2) The filenames
of attachments would no longer match what was recorded in the resources
table. When attempting to view these assignments in the Assignments tool,
the log had entries like:

2011-07-25 09:12:11,032 WARN TP-Processor9
org.sakaiproject.assignment.tool.AssignmentAction -
org.sakaiproject.assignment.tool.AssignmentAction at 41ede8c1:sizeResources
null userId = df90b1ef-fd22-462a-9bfb-705c1618aa4c

Our fix involved writing a Python script to transfer the values from our
backup database into the new database - in essence, a data pump written
specifically to get around this problem. In the unlikely event that you
encounter the same problem I'd be glad to supply this script to you.

Josh