[Building Sakai] SAK-17578, et al.

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Feb 12 19:36:54 PST 2013

The option *-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_WHITESPACE=false *was
cleaned up (SAK-21265) however Sakai still requires

-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false (SAK-17938)
and
-Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true (SAK-17578)

The amount of work to Fix AND QA in every tool where this was an issue
(including the high profile contrib tools) was seen as too much effort for
how simple the workaround was. Especially considering most of those tools
are in maintenance mode as is with lots of other outstanding issues, and
the workflow for QA isn't may not be obvious (regression possibility
otherwise).

The only downside to this workaround is knowing to use it (it's well
documented) and the possibility that they might remove the workarounds
entirely someday. (Probably more of a concern for the sun.lang option,
since the other is trivial code)

If you (or someone else) really wanted to create patches
and verifiable test plans we'd for sure take them (since they work with and
without the option), but I from what I remember that STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING
was worse and still be required, and I'd still worry about my instance
breaking in production on a contrib tool.