[Building Sakai] Web Content tool to open in new windows for https

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Thu Dec 19 19:05:20 PST 2013

On Dec 19, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Matthew Jones <matthew at longsight.com> wrote:

> I agree it should all be backported to 2.9.x, but the issue (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23850 / https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23894) there is nothing committed yet in trunk to there's nothing to backport. The only one that really should get merged back is http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23841 but it hasn't been marked as verified.
>
> The version Omer is already running contains the portlet web tool and the fix for (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-21624). All this does though is check the remote headers to see if the site allows for framing or not. Most sites still allow framing but are blocked by the browser because of https/http issues which were introduced later.
>
> There is no fix in Sakai trunk that I know of yet to detect and redirect for mixed content. It looks like there's a patch on SAK-23894 but it needs some more work and is not automatic.

Matt,

The fix for the blank pages due to mixed content is in trunk and has been in 2-1-x since August (right after basiclti-2.1.1 was tagged):

I am sure that I delayed putting it in 2-1-x and 2.1.1 so as not to slow the 2.9.3 release.

At Stephen's urging, Anthony made a basiclti-2.1.2 that includes the mixed content fix today.

Checking x-frame *did* make it into basiclti-2.1.1 / sakai 2.9.3:

So I think that trunk and basiclti-2-1-x has been doing popups in all the right situations since August.

The issue of performance impact in:

Is really solved and should probably be closed.

What was *not* working until today was the annoying "Allow Popup?" dialogs that were introduced in 2.9.3 because the window.opens were happening in inline JavaScript instead of in onclick methods.   Trunk now should use onclick on hrefs in every place that it is possible and fall back to inline window.opens only if the onlick does not run.

Of course SAK-24208 could bear a little review and testing before I close it.  And it needs careful backporting because it touches portal, web, direct, and basiclti.

/Chuck