[Building Sakai] Portal and Portlet Popups Improved - SAK-24208 - Please review and test

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Thu Dec 19 18:41:37 PST 2013

One of the features of Sakai 2.9.3 was to replace the iframe tool with a portlet:

This fixed a lot of problems, eliminating iframe-within-iframe, allowing intelligent xframe processing, better detection of mixed content situations and a whole host of other improvements.

But there was one backslide.  Since all of the new window opens were done using inline JavaScript inside portlet markup and not as part of a user click gesture, we started getting popup blockers asking questions.

You can bypass the popup blocker with a pattern like this:

Since the onclick does not "return false;" the result is both to open the popup *and* navigate the underlying page.   A double bonus is that many browsers open in a new tab rather than new window in this situation.  Which is nice.

So we filed this JIRA to go through and fix it nicely.

It is more complex than it first appears:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn?view=revision&revision=132825

Because it touches the portal, web content tool, basiclti tool and basiclti iframe tool.

The fixes are now committed to trunk and I encourage you to test these on the nightly servers and file any JIRAs if you find a problem.   With all the navigation gestures that we now have and multiple portals - there are a lot of details to get right and places to make mistakes.

Here is an outline of the scenarios to test:

This is a good bit of effort and there are lots of combinations to be tested:

There are three tools to be tested:

- Web Content (sakai.iframe)
- External Tool (sakai.basiclti)
- Tool that is placed when you Select a Plugin Tool from Site Manage (sakai.web.168)

There are several navigation gestures that need to be tested.

- Navigating to a site by clicking on the Site Tab and then selecting the tool

- Navigating directly to the tool from the tab drop down

- Navigating directly to the tool from the drawer (this is different from the tab drop down)

- Navigating between tools within a site

- Selecting a tool in a site, navigating to another site and then coming back to the site with the tool pre-selected

You also need to use the Edit mode of all three tools and turn popup off and on and go back and forth.

This will certainly be in Sakai-10 - it would not be particularly hard to back port it to 2.9 and 2.8 but if you do, make sure you get all the changes - otherwise you will end up with either zero popups or two popups - the tool and portal code depend on one another and talk back and forth with little secret handshakes.

Comments welcome..   (Yes I know - TL;DR :)

/Chuck