[Building Sakai] Setting Web Content tool to always open in be window

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Fri Aug 30 15:36:38 PDT 2013

On Aug 30, 2013, at 2:40 PM, Seth Theriault <slt at columbia.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a widely deployed local custom WC-based tool that is falling victim to browser restrictions on mixed content.
>
> Does anyone remember if there is sakai.properties option or a tool registration setting that forces WC to pop out URLs in a new window by default?
>
> We are using Sakai 2.8.3 plus local mods.
>
> Seth

Seth - you are kind of doomed unless you upgrade to the new portlet-based Web Content tool and get the latest bits.

There *is* a property and you could construct a clever bit of SQL that might even look at the source URL in the placement and then set the "popup" property in the placement when there is an http:// url.

But sadly - in 2.8.3 when we do a popup - we don't really do a popup.   We pop up a URL to your Local Sakai i a new window that puts up on Options button and then an iframe - so even when you popup in 2.8.3 - you have the mixed content problem.

This is why I went to the effort of experimentally back-poring the latest web-content portlet back to Sakai 2.8.3 and made a patch here:

Not even 2.9.3 has the mixed-content fix.  It has the portlet and the x-frame-options - but the mixed content issue is only a few weeks old and was fixed only in trunk after the freeze for 2.9.3.

I have tweaked trunk a bit more since then so the patch is no longer perfect:

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/attachment/37178/web-content-trunk-2.8-patch.txt

If you were willing to test this, what I think that we should do is make a special branch of Web content trunk specifically to apply these patches and then produce a tag once testing is done.

I am 100% willing to make the branch and create the initial patch and do the initial testing on 2.8 if folks are willing to test it and use it.

I think that those in production with < 2.9.2 are pretty much doomed without getting the newest web content tool.

Lots of schools are using the new web content tool with no reported problems - so that lessens the risk of pulling it back.   But we need to go to trunk - not 2.9.3 to get the mixed content fix.

It is why I did so much prep work a few weeks back.

/Chuck