[Building Sakai] Moving YAFT and CLOG to github

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Tue Aug 27 14:29:44 PDT 2013

Agreed.  I think we should avoid mixing core and contrib repos under the sakaiproject account and also avoid creating a sakaiproject-contrib account in order to encourage devs and organization to park their projects there.  As Chuck writes let contrib projects form wherever they form.  I think this laissez-faire approach sensible.  It will involve less admin overhead--we'd have to create/maintain Github "teams" for each contrib repo.  More importantly, I regard it as a more honest approach; no "sakaiproject" veneer suggesting that the Sakai Community's is responsible for the upkeep of the code.   Instead it pins contrib repos directly to the individual developers, groups and organizations actually developing and maintaining the code, and does so in a very public way.

Adrian's decision to create Yaft and Clog repos under his Github account (or some other non-sakaiproject account) is in my view the right approach to take for contrib projects interested in switching from SVN to Git and utilizing Github to host their repo(s).

Anth

anthony whyte | its and mlibrary | university of michigan | arwhyte at umich.edu | 517-980-0228