[Building Sakai] Samigo Export of scores times out

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Wed Aug 21 03:34:36 PDT 2013

For very large sites (we saw this problem in a site with 4500 users), you may want to check your logs for this:

Aug 12, 2013 11:31:49 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters processParameters
INFO: More than the maximum number of request parameters (GET plus POST) for a single request ([10,000]) were detected. Any parameters beyond this limit have been ignored. To change this limit, set the maxParameterCount attribute on the Connector.

In this case, it appears that the JSF request to move to the "Export" page in T&Q posts a very large set of parameters which is exceeding this limit. We worked around this for one specific site with a temporary change by adding maxParameterCount to the connector in conf/server.xml (you'd need to change this to the AJP connector on port 8009 or whatever):

<Connector port="8444" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
               maxParameterCount="150000"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

This looks like some sort of weird JSF behaviour. With the above change, it worked OK (although the POST request is extremely large).

Regards
Stephen

---
Stephen Marquard, Acting Director
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za<http://www.cet.uct.ac.za/>
stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za<mailto:stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za>