[Building Sakai] Hibernate DocType DTD files and slow Sakai startups

Robert Sedzik robert.sedzik at uadm.uu.se
Fri Aug 16 05:18:42 PDT 2013

Hi all,

We have every now and then problems with Sakai startup.
I am not sure we have nailed the problem but it seems
related to hibernate hbm files DOCTYPE.

Is it as if hibernate tries to fetch the dtd files externally and the whole
Sakai startup stalls or takes a very long time.

Is it correct that hibernate tries to get the dtd files supplied by
the doctype in hbm files firstly from the classpath and then from
an external source?

Then what exactly is happening that hibernate cannot pick it up on class
path and goes
externally?

We have looked into some solutions for this and one we found would
require use to change
the doctype parts

<!DOCTYPE hibernate-mapping PUBLIC
"-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD 3.0//EN"
"http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-mapping-3.0.dtd">

<!DOCTYPE hibernate-configuration SYSTEM
"-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD 3.0//EN"
"classpath://org/hibernate/hibernate-configuration-3.0.dtd">

Would this have to be done for all hbm files?

What about the hibernate.cfg.xml file?

Rob