[Building Sakai] Adding Sites via API / SiteService deprecated

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 12 06:27:32 PDT 2013

What you are proposing comes under the heading of "a bad thing to do".
You are proposing to fork the Site code to add local information.  If
you do that, you will be stuck with maintaining that code for as long as
you are using Sakai.

I would suggest you look at Site properties, instead.  This is a general
mechanism that allows arbitrary information to be associated with a Site
object.  It is persisted in the database and simple to set and get.  You
can still write your custom "module that creates/adds sites to my sakai from
another datasource", just save the extra datum as a property. That way
you won't be creating a custom kernel, you can use the standard Sakai
Site API.  Look for the "Entity" base  case, which Site extends.

- Mark Norton