[Building Sakai] Adding Sites via API / SiteService deprecated

John Bush jbush at anisakai.com
Thu Aug 8 13:25:51 PDT 2013

org.sakaiproject.site.api.SiteService is not deprecated, I'm guessing
you are talking about the cover ?
org.sakaiproject.site.cover.SiteService.

Generally, the recommend pattern is to inject the siteService into
your class using the component manager (Spring).

Depending on what you are trying to do, you might find it easier to
actually use web services for this type of activity.  That would allow
you to keep your code outside of the core Sakai deployment, which
often has its advantages.

There are methods for doing this stuff expose via Soap:

http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8085/sakai-axis/SakaiScript.jws?wsdl

Possibly via REST as well, I'm not so familiar with the Site capabilities there:

http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8085/direct/