[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.9.2 and Kernel 1.3.2 problems during load testing

Kusnetz, Jeremy JKusnetz at APUS.EDU
Tue Aug 6 06:55:44 PDT 2013

The graphs are a little misleading.  We upgraded to 2.9.x on an off week so we had lower usage anyway.

Yesterday was a semester start for us, we logged 62,088 site.upd events for the day.  Our last semester start last month which has very similar number of users and usage we saw 8,452 site.upd events.  So a bit more than 7x the number of site.upd events in 2.9.x.

From: Charles Severance [mailto:csev at umich.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2013 11:30 PM
To: sakai-dev at collab.sakaiproject.org sakai
Cc: Beth Kirschner; Kusnetz, Jeremy
Subject: Re: [Building Sakai] Sakai 2.9.2 and Kernel 1.3.2 problems during load testing

Looking at your graph  I am wondering what you mean by "much higher"?   Am I reading the graph correctly that in week 30 you were seeing 20-100 site.upd events per day and in week 31 you are seeing about 200 per day?

While it is increased - the increase is exactly what I would expect given that now viewing an iframe will do a site.upd once in a while when the result of an xframe check is put into or updated in the cache.

Unless I am completely mis-reading the graph below - it is completely normal and expected for the new xframe check option.

If I change the implementaiton of the "Home" button I may be able to reduce some of these.   See the JIRA:

If I am mis-reading the graph below and somehow the vertical axis is in millions or something - that would be a problem.

/Chuck