[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.9.2 and Kernel 1.3.2 problems during load testing

Beth Kirschner bkirschn at umich.edu
Thu Aug 1 13:56:20 PDT 2013

Hi all,

We're running load tests against a Sakai 2.9.2 based build, with a few kernel patches (mentioned at bottom of email) and seeing a 14 times increase with the number of executions of the SAKAI_REALM_FUNCTION query below. While we're digging into why, I thought I'd ask this esteemed audience if they had any thoughts as to what might be causing this increase.

Thanks,
- Beth

### Results from our Sakai 2.9.2 based build:

        Elapsed                  Elapsed Time
        Time (s)    Executions  per Exec (s)  %Total   %CPU    %IO    SQL Id
---------------- -------------- ------------- ------ ------ ------ -------------
         2,676.6        748,379          0.00   17.1   99.5     .0 3ryj6azagfbwv
Module: JDBC Thin Client
select DISTINCT FUNCTION_NAME from SAKAI_REALM_FUNCTION SRF inner join SAKAI_REA
LM_RL_FN SRRF on SRF.FUNCTION_KEY = SRRF.FUNCTION_KEY inner join SAKAI_REALM_ROL
E SRR on SRRF.ROLE_KEY = SRR.ROLE_KEY inner join SAKAI_REALM SR on SRRF.REALM_KE
Y = SR.REALM_KEY where SRR.ROLE_NAME = :1 and SR.REALM_ID IN (:2 ,:3 ,:4 )

### Results from our Sakai 2.9.1 based build

     176.6       53,040       0.00    1.8      177.6   99.4     .0 3ryj6azagfbwv
Module: JDBC Thin Client
select DISTINCT FUNCTION_NAME from SAKAI_REALM_FUNCTION SRF inner join SAKAI_REA
LM_RL_FN SRRF on SRF.FUNCTION_KEY = SRRF.FUNCTION_KEY inner join SAKAI_REALM_ROL
E SRR on SRRF.ROLE_KEY = SRR.ROLE_KEY inner join SAKAI_REALM SR on SRRF.REALM_KE
Y = SR.REALM_KEY where SRR.ROLE_NAME = :1 and SR.REALM_ID IN (:2 ,:3 ,:4 )

## Patches previously run in production
KNL-1056        Need more efficient caching of notifyingMemoryStore object
KNL-1016        Allow multiple site types for isCourseSite(), isProjectSite(), isPortfolioSite()

## Patches new to this build
KNL-989         Add tool groups
KNL-1060        Cache invalidation for grants isn't happening when editing a special realm
KNL-990         Joinable Groups
KNL-885         The group property to enable Site Info to see groups should be moved out of site-manage and into kernel-api
KNL-874         Replace getFormattedMessage array argument with a varargs