[Building Sakai] JVM memory usage up after upgrading to 2.9.x

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Thu Aug 1 07:44:22 PDT 2013

There is a ton of magic in those JAVA_OPTS. The general recommendation for JDK 6+ is to "let it be" and let the GC tune itself. Are those settings based on a lot of precise tuning or mostly just stuff that stuck?

To follow up with one more question on Sam's:

c) are you seeing performance problems/changes or full GC's as a result or just anticipating based on a different allocation profile?

For one possible contributor to more memory usage, various caches have been added/adjusted to account for typical production scenarios. I'd check there first.

Thanks,
-Noah