[Building Sakai] How Sakai OAE start with Apache-Tomcat or on a server?

David Adams da1 at vt.edu
Thu Apr 11 05:25:00 PDT 2013

Samuel,
To answer your question about a single Jar webapp, Sakai OAE uses--or used
to use--Jetty (http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/) as its application server
rather than Tomcat. Jetty apps are typically packaged as a single
executable Jar file. All of the configuration is either inside the Jar or
provided at the command line.

For what it's worth, this is possible to do with Tomcat 7 as well:

  http://tomcat.apache.org/maven-plugin-trunk/executable-war-jar.html

-dave

David Adams
Director, Systems Integration and Support
Virginia Tech Learning Technologies