[Building Sakai] gradebook and gradebook2 iRubric integration

John Bush jbush at rsmart.com
Wed Sep 26 19:28:01 PDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Jon Gorrono <jpgorrono at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> I don't think this is crazy at all, and is just what I think we had in mind.
>
> One thing I wanted to add is that the BLTI version that was targetee for 2.8
> includes a mechanism for pushing and updating grades, so perhaps a ws
> callback would not be necessary. And, IIRC a grade is a number between
> 0 and 1 in the spec.

Right this is what I was alluding to. I don't know a lot about it, but
that was my understanding as well.

> WRT GB2, there are some basic UI components that Ramesh and crew introduced in
> their coding and those are good ones in general: a button for updating
> grades (via a 'pull' or request for a 'push') for one. And those bits
> are also relevant to any other tool supplying grades to the sakai
> gradebook (edu-services), so the thought was for GB2 to introduce a
> general mechanism for handling those things. And that mechanism would be
> (and in simpler cases, perhaps not) the BLTI launch mechanism...

So if there are things that are not GB2 specific and necessary outside
of basic lti, and are useful to other tools around grade exchange, I
think those things would want to live in edu-services right? We don't
want different things in assignments, assignments2, gradebook, gb2,
that handle these integrations a separate way, but more one
extension/interface/plugin that all tools could leverage.  I would
think edu-services would be the logical place for such a thing.

--
John Bush
602-490-0470