[Building Sakai] Protocol family unavailable error

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Thu Sep 6 02:08:45 PDT 2012

Hi Gang,

I'm seeing a number of errors like the one bellow from from calendar
subscriptions

> 2012-09-06 10:58:48,064 ERROR TP-Processor28
> org.sakaiproject.calendar.impl.BaseExternalCalendarSubscriptionService
> - Unable to read calendar subscription
> '/calendar/ical/*************%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics'
> from URL (I/O Error):
> https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/rv9klcp1bn06etdd4aarcm735c%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
> java.net.SocketException: Protocol family unavailable

All seem to be from Google. Now googling and looking at our config I
suspect that this is IPv6 related - the DNS lookup is returning  an IPv6
address but our Vula nodes don't have IPv8 support.

Has anyone else seen this? (and  have a workaround?