[Building Sakai] Joinable sites > access and quick join

Brian Jones bjones86 at uwo.ca
Thu Oct 25 07:00:39 PDT 2012

We've developed some special functionality to simplify the joining process
here at Western University, but haven't yet committed it back to the
community.

1) Created a 'Join' tool that can be added to a site. The maintainer can
give out the direct link to the site to people, and these people can use the
join tool to become a member of the site (provided their account has
site.visit)

2) Modified the 'Manage Access' page of Site Info to provide more options
for joinable sites, such as:
	- maintainers can optionally receive emails when someone joins
	- you can optionally exclude the joinable site from the public list
of joinable sites (Membership -> Joinable sites)
	- limit join to specific account types

3) Modified Membership -> Joinable sites to respect exclude option from
above

4) Modified Gateway -> Site Browser such that the 'Joinable' column provides
a 'Join Now' link so a logged in user can directly join a site from the Site
Browser

There may be a few other tweaks for joinable sites that I'm not remembering
at the moment. We plan to commit this back to the community in the coming
months.

Cheers,

Brian Jones
Applications Development