[Building Sakai] A Sensitive Subject

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Mon Oct 15 00:09:45 PDT 2012

I have to disagree with that ("there is no standard case enforced").
Sites running databases with case-sensitive table names (as we are)
would take a dim view of any changes checked in that referred to
existing tables with different case, as it basically would not work.
Developers are required to use the same case for table names as the
table names were set up with (in the DDL SQL or hibernate config).

Cheers
Stephen

Stephen Marquard, Learning Technologies Co-ordinator
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za
Email/IM/XMPP: stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Phone: +27-21-650-5037 Cell: +27-83-500-5290

>>> Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> 10/15/2012 1:18 AM >>>
And there is no standard case enforced when referring to the same
tables or
columns, ie SAKAI_USER, sakai_user for example.

Bottom line, set your db up to be case insensitive.

cheers,
Steve

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Database+Configuration+and+Tuning)

<markjnorton at earthlink.net
> > wrote:
>
>> Does Sakai require database table names to be case sensitive?  I
don't
>> seem to recall anything about this in the database set-up of the
install
>> instructions.
>>
>> - Mark Norton

###

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer
published on our website at
http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from
+27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom
it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify
the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may
not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail
is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the
sender's individual capacity.

###