[Building Sakai] Snapshot repo cleanup

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Wed Oct 10 10:02:14 PDT 2012

On 10/10/2012 05:48 PM, Seth Theriault wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Bryan Holladay <holladay at longsight.com> wrote:
>> In this specific case, it was a branch from Dashboard 1.0.x which was
>> relying on this snapshot but has since been cleaned up and moved from
>> sakai-standard-tool to master.
> There was also another piece of local code that had a similar
> dependency. It has also been cleaned up (by committing changes sitting
> around since November 2011!). Everything else in our local build
> depends on a tagged version.
>
> Otherwise, I welcome any effort to rationalize and clearly explain the
> versioning schemes. The X.Y-SNAPSHOT convention was made a standard in
> the monolithic days to afford some stability to the maintenance
> branch, while the X.Y.Z-SNAPSHOT convention became standard for
> indies. It's clear that we are coming full circle.
Though it does cause many problems - I spent about 2 days trying to
figure out which 2 version indie snapshots where being pulled down from
where. A  3 number version would have saved em that that I could have
spent fixing bugs. Branch versions should not be stable across branch
releases _ i understand changing monolithic was too much for most deployers.

+1 for API releases