[Building Sakai] Sakai log file mystery message.

Jeff Cousineau cousinea at umich.edu
Wed Oct 10 09:59:33 PDT 2012

Did a little digging, here's what I've found so far:

from

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200901.mbox/%3Cgjugcj$6hq$1@ger.gmane.org%3E

"Yeah, this should probably be lowered to DEBUG level logging.  It usually
happens when Apache drops the connection before Tomcat can send the "I'm
ready for the next request" message.  As such, it is pretty harmless (other
than disk space).  After this, Tomcat will just send the Thread back to it's
pool to await another connection."

---------

If you want to dig in further, I believe the tomcat source file in question would be:

connectors/jk/java/org/apache/jk/common/ChannelSocket.java

starting around line 700:

                ep.setType( 0 );
                // Will call next
                status= this.invoke( recv, ep );
                if( status!= JkHandler.OK ) {
                    log.warn("processCallbacks status " + status );
                    ep.action(ActionCode.ACTION_CLOSE, ep.getRequest().getResponse());
                    break;
                }

We're still using mod_jk at UM and have no immediate plans to move to mod_proxy_ajp.  It's on the radar, just not high priority at this time.

Jeff

On Oct 10, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Matthew Jones <matthew at longsight.com> wrote:

> I've never seen it here, but we aren't using either ajp or mod_jk, which looks like this error is related to. We've got Nginx setup as a standard http proxy (similar  to mod_proxy_http) for every instance that doesn't need a custom CAS module. (As Nginx still doesn't support fastcgi authorizers)
>
> I'm not sure if you're still using mod_jk but might want to see if it's possible to switch to mod_proxy (http/ajp) and see if that changes anything.
>
> This is the current recommendation for confluence (which is a similar setup to Sakai)
> https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Running+Confluence+behind+Apache
>
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM, David Haines <dlhaines at umich.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   We've seen lots of the following messages in our sakai logs for a long time.  I don't know of an obvious issue associated with them.  Has anyone ever tracked down just what these mean?
>
> org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket - processCallbacks status
>
> Thanks - Dave

Jeff Cousineau
Application Systems Administrator Senior
Information and Technology Services
University of Michigan