[Building Sakai] Lessons version changes

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Mon Nov 26 06:51:47 PST 2012

Lesson has two current versions 1.4 (which is paired with 2.9) and 1.5, which is paired with trunk/2.10. They have been kept in sync so far. They are now diverging.

1.4 will get bug fixes. The TCC will decide what new features it gets, but I'm currently not assuming any.

Thus 1.5 is the version under current development. I will make sure it works with 2.8 and 2.9, as well as trunk.

At rutgers we will be using 1.4 through the end of the Fall. We're in a freeze at the moment.

For Spring we will move to 1.5. I would welcome another site or two doing so. I do not recommend using it until Spring, as group ownership of pages is now in, but hasn't gotten much testing. I would prefer for as many sites as possible to move to 1.5 for summer or fall. I will have a 1.5 binary assembly for 2.8 (and I guess I need it for 2.9 as well) shortly. See the confluence page.

Likely changes for 1.5:

* group ownership of student content pages [done; needs testing and probably some minor UI changes]
* a patch from Diego del Blanco Orobitg to provide a "quick start" mode for Samigo questions from Lessons
* depending upon availability of manpower, inline questions. The idea is to provide a low-overhead way to add simple questions that can be used for polling, or to verify that the student has gotten the material.

Longer term there are two things I'm thinking of, though probably not for 1.5:

* CC export, which will eventually happen but I'm putting off
* student rating of other students' work. We need a design for this one. Implementation isn't the issue so much as figuring out what to do.

Note that we currently have the ability for students to comment on other students' work, but we have interest in doing actual rating.

As I've noted, there's a limit to the number of new features that we can do. It's already complex enough.