[Building Sakai] Kernel Changes to support SAK-16600

Beth Kirschner bkirschn at umich.edu
Thu Nov 8 12:51:27 PST 2012

This email is primarily for the kernel team/committers...

We've created a kernel JIRA (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-989) describing the changes needed to support SAK-16600 (see below). I've reviewed the code for backward compatibility and would like to invite comments from others. There are several issues worth raising:

1) In order to support both old and new toolOrder.xml format, there was a change to parameters of an existing private method. While I think we all can agree that changing APIs of public methods is bad practice, I'm not sure this applies to private methods.
	- private void loadToolOrder(InputStream in)
	+ private void loadToolOrder(Element toolOrder)

2) In order to support the new functionality, we've created three new methods, and this impacts several "Mock" classes created for unit testing in polls and search. When we're ready to commit these changes, there will be a timing issue to avoid breaking the nightly build. We'll need to commit the changes to kernel and the unit-test code for polls & search and then quickly refresh the kernel snapshot.

I'm happy to coordinate/ any changes people may propose and commit the code, but will need to work with someone (Steve S?) to refresh the kernel snapshot.

Comments?
- Beth

Begin forwarded message: