[Building Sakai] Returning binary data (pdf) from Entity Provider?

Curtis Van-Osch curtis.van-osch at hec.ca
Thu Nov 8 12:25:51 PST 2012

Hi,
I'm trying to have a custom action in my EntityProvider send a PDF back
to the browser.  I've figured out how to get the pdf from
ContentHostingService, but I can't seem to get any byte data out to the
client (even a single character or simple string) through an ActionReturn.

You can see the test code I've set up in the attached text file.
Whenever I return an ActionReturn with a ByteArrayOuputStream, the
client gets a response with 0 Content-Length (as seen in firebug) but a
success code (200).

If I write the data to the OutputStream parameter that is available to
the custom action it gets sent to the browser, but in that case I cannot
see how to set the content-type to "application/pdf".

Has anyone tried to do anything similar?  I'd appreciate any input.

--
*Curtis van Osch*
Analyste en informatique