[Building Sakai] New Feature for Sakai 2.10: Joinable Groups

Paul Lukasewych plukasew at uwo.ca
Thu Nov 1 14:15:37 PDT 2012

Hi Stephen,

We initially looked at the Section Info tool for this functionality, but we
found that it had some limitations. The most serious issue for us was that we
could not use Section Info in conjuction with automatic roster provisioning,
which was a dealbreaker for us. The second issue we had was that the tool was
not as flexible as we would like, as there is a limitation on the number of
different categories you could have in a single site, and the joinable option
is all or nothing, so you can't end joinability on one set of sections while
maintaining joinability on others.

The primary use case for this tool on our campus is for the creation of
arbitrary sets of groups that students can choose to join. We already get
lecture, tutorial, and lab sections as rosters from our SIS integration, but
our instructors repeatedly asked for more flexibility to create their own sets
of joinable groups.

Paul Lukasewych
Applications Development Team
Western University