[Building Sakai] Tomcat 7.0.29+ adds a few minutes to startup

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Nov 1 08:31:34 PDT 2012

It seems like the alternative is to add *every* Sakai jar to this list
individually (probably a huge list) as it was suggested here [1].
"INFO: At least one JAR was scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs.
Enable debug logging for this logger for a complete list of JARs that
were scanned but no TLDs were found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs
during scanning can improve startup time and JSP compilation time."

It was suggested changing the log level to debug would list every
individual jar. A comment on this post said that adding all of the
used taglibs to META-INF could also resolve this scanning problem, but
that looks like it could be a lot of work as well. Possibly something
to consider.

This seems like a great option for development (1 minute restart of
all tools is really nice) and also lowers the memory requirements
needed for startup (as a lot of memory is needed for this tag
scanning).

[1] http://thinkinginsoftware.blogspot.com/2011/10/tomcat-7-scans-all-jars-for-tlds.html