[Building Sakai] Tomcat 7.0.29+ adds a few minutes to startup

Earle Nietzel earle.nietzel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 08:10:54 PDT 2012

In recent testing with the current tomcat version 7.0.32 I experienced 2 or
3 times longer startups of Sakai.

Looking at the Tomcat change logs,
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/changelog.html
noticed in 7.0.29 they enabled scanning for servlet 3 features.

This scan will scan all jars for servlet 3 annotations.

They added an option to skip this scanning called: jarsToSkip

Since Sakai at this point doesn't use Servlet 3 spec, that I can recall,
you can configure it to skip all jars with adding *.jar to all of the
*.jarsToSkip properties in conf/catalina.properties.

My startup is now back to approx 65 seconds!

Enjoy,
Earle