[Building Sakai] 2.9.x migration issues

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Wed May 30 03:57:17 PDT 2012

Hi everybody.

I'm testing the migration of our 2.7.1 test environment to 2.9.x-all's
trunk. I have experienced a couple of issues that I would like to share.

First at all, I have found an issue with Log4j which makes Tomcat
crashes at starting:

/INFO: Despliegue del archivo
/apps/tomcat/tomcat-b/webapps/sakai-gradebook-tool.war de la aplicación web
log4j:ERROR A "org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender" object is not
assignable to a "org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable.
log4j:ERROR The class "org.apache.log4j.Appender" was loaded by
log4j:ERROR [org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader at 43b09468]
whereas object of type
log4j:ERROR "org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender" was loaded by
[WebappClassLoader
/
As is described here:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.sakai.devel/16043 , looking in
the Gradebook deployment, it seems that it's using log4j-1.2.14.jar
(located at WEB-INF/lib) while in commons/lib is log4j-1.2.16.jar. So
deleting Gradebook's jar solves the issue, but I'm not sure if this
could have unexpected issues as result. What do you think?

Second, I have found another issue with the SQL migration script at
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn//reference/branches/sakai-2.9.x/docs/conversion/sakai_2_9_0_mysql_conversion.sql

In that script, there are several comment lines starting with slashes
which throws an error when are launched. I have made a quick test with
this code:
/
-- test.sql
--//test
select * from sakai_site;/

mysql -u root -p sakai29x_dev < test.sql
Enter password:
ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 1: You have an error in your SQL syntax;
check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the
right syntax to use near '--//test

select * from sakai_site' at line 1

while deleting the line with slashes makes mysql run fine the script.

I'm not sure if this issue is just mine or if it is general. I'm using
MySql 5.1:
mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.63, for unknown-linux-gnu (x86_64) using
readline 5.1

Hope it helps.
Best regards.
--
Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
Tradición es hacer algo estúpido porque llevamos 500 años haciendo algo
estúpido. (Perich)