[Building Sakai] Renaming tools (bad habit)

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 28 08:29:04 PDT 2012

> I was thinking it would be best if all of these help files are templates
> with some simple variables like (tool title) (tool description) (skin repo),
> then I could just have used some simple template processor like JTpl to
> quickly replace. But alas that would have required modifying every help file
> in the system (and contrib). I know skin hard coded repo is static in every
> file, replacing the title would be harder because it wouldn't know what the
> default title to replace is?

This is along the lines I was thinking of. It could be done in a
reasonably backwards compatible way by having the variable in the
temple be something like:

This way if the help tool doesn't support replacing the tool title it
gets pass through, but if it does then the updated tool title gets
substituted.

Otherwise you have the problem that contrib tools wouldn't use the
substitution as they didn't want to drop support for older versions of
the help tool.

Filed as a Jira at: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-21990

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services