[Building Sakai] How to retrieve password of sakai user

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 27 06:14:56 PDT 2012

Ali:

When Steve says you can't, it not only means that there is no way to
retrieve the Sakai user password via an API, but that it's also a BAD
idea.  The whole Sakai security model is based (in part) on not
accessing passwords "in the clear".  Provisions are made to take a
password string supplied by a user (etc), which is encoded and compared
to the value kept in the database.  See the Authentication service.

You may want to think a bit more about why you need the original
password from Sakai.  Usually, it's for purposes of single sign-on.
Sakai does have the ability to accept authentication from an external
service, such as CAS.  This is the preferred way to handle such things.

- Mark Norton