[Building Sakai] distinct events for Resources and Dropbox (Sitestats)

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Fri Mar 23 05:32:52 PDT 2012

Files in Resources have a different reference structure to files in
Dropbox, so I'm not really convinced it's necessary to have separate
events.

Regards
Stephen

Stephen Marquard, Acting Director
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za
Email/IM/XMPP: stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Phone: +27-21-650-5037 Cell: +27-83-500-5290

>>> Vijaykumar Sadupally <UdcsWeb at unisa.ac.za> 3/23/2012 2:21 PM >>>
This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a
disclaimer. Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full
details.
________________________________

Good day David,
I am Vijay from Unisa.
We are experiencing a problem with Dropbox on Sitestats/statistics
tool,there is no distinct event on Dropbox and resources. Both use
content tool to generate their events.
We need a way whereby each(Dropbox and Resource) will generate their
own event separately.
Currently the operations on Dropbox and Resources generates
content.*events. It does not have a distinct events for Resources and
Dropbox. Eg, content.* and dropbox.*
This is reported in

Jim Eng made the following comment in Jira:
The problem seems to be that events are posted by the
ContentHostingService, and CHS does not care whether the item is in a
dropbox or resources collection, as long as permissions are satisfied.
Ian suggested that the problem Jean-Francois described could be solved
if the Resources tool posted events that distinguished dropbox events
from resources events. For example, we might define two new sets of
event-ids (e.g. "resource.read", "dropbox.read", "resource.new",
"dropbox.new", etc) and when an event occurs within the resources tool
or filepicker, the tool could post one of these events. CHS would still
post a "content" event. You could then revise SiteStats so it watched
the tool-specific events rather than (or in addition to) "content"
events.

I am going to start trying to make this change but would like to talk
to the current owner of resource tool. I do not see the new owner after
Nuno left Sakai. Could you please advice me on the new owner. Thank you

Regards
Vijay

###

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer
published on our website at
http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from
+27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom
it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify
the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may
not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail
is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the
sender's individual capacity.

###