[Building Sakai] /direct/ access to msgcntr topics

George Pipkin gpp8p at Virginia.EDU
Mon Mar 19 12:29:41 PDT 2012

Hi -

    I'm writing about a feature that we have come to use quite heavily
in 2.7.x that apparently is not working in 2.8.x.  Under 2.7.x, we were
able to view a forum topic directly with a url that looks like this:

https://sakai7.itc.virginia.edu/direct/forum_topic/<toipicId>?p=1

Under 2.8.x, all that comes back is an error indicating that the entity
cannot be
found, even though the topicId is correct and produces output in other
invocations of this particular entity provider.  There are a couple of
things that are puzzling about this.  First off all - under 2.7.x the
entity provider in question (ForumTopicEntityProviderImpl) does not
implement the RequestHandler interface, and there is no EVAP in sight to
provide this functionality. However, it does work under v2.7.x, and does
not under v2.8.x.  I notice that there have been a number of additions
to this class in 2.8.x.  However, I can't figure out how they would have
interfered with this.  I was wondering if anybody could shed any light
on what might have happened ?

                                 - George Pipkin
                                     U.Va.