[Building Sakai] Checksum errors with maven 2.2.1

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 15 03:55:04 PDT 2012

I believe these checksum errors are todo with the maven-metadata,
rather than the checksums on the deployed artifacts.

So far it seems that Maven 2.2.1 is not downloading the maven metadata
file directly but is somehow rebuilding the information in it (or
downloading it and stripping it). It's not easy to see if maven is
requesting the file as proxying https connection is hard. As the
metadata files are then different the checksums don't match.

It seems that the sonatype repository has a metadata file that
contains information about the additional artifacts such  as the
sources and javadocs. The metadata about these artifacts isn't
supported by maven 2 and was added for maven 3. However maven 2 was
updated to ignore this extra information.

If I perform a build with maven 3 then the metadata gets updated
correctly and the checksums all match. After I've done a good build
with maven 3 performing another build which updated the snapshot
versions (-U switch) causes maven 2 to update the maven-meta to become
bad. Attached are the metadata that is in my local .m2 repo for maven
2 and maven 3.

What's strange is that nobody else is seeing this problem.

Here are some references about the change in metadata format.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4452
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200909.mbox/%3Ceb0f802d0909040758ke848f1u29a3075df1733cc1@mail.gmail.com%3E

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services